Friday 6 December 2013

My Apologies, Granny

After the success of my recent hand drawings and in a sudden flash of... let's not say ego, but confidence, I thought, 'I could probably draw that apple right there if I wanted to'. I placed the rather oddly shaped apple on a stool in front of me, picked up a tatty pad and dulled pencil and began to draw.

Just... Ugh.

My hand moved roughly over the paper, describing the loose curves of the quite ugly fruit. As the grey amorphous blob began to take shape it dawned on me just how much I didn't want to draw that apple, and I think that's the problem sometimes. This leads me to my 'tip' of the day. 

If you really don't want to draw something and can't give your full attention, then you will find it really difficult to produce a good drawing.

I think a lot of drawing happens when you're just in the moment. Like writing comedy, taking photographs or having a really good conversation, you're not thinking, you're just there and it flows and it feels great, but when your mind is somewhere else, this happens. It's a really strange balance to get but when it's there, it's the best thing ever.

I just didn't get any pleasure out of starting that apple, but I drew a lot from stopping, and that's just not something you can hang on your wall.

Next up: something you might actually find useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment