Tuesday 19 November 2013

It's getting a bit dicey...

I know I'm still drawing hands and, after faces, it's probably the next hardest thing to draw, but I'm hoping that starting on something complicated I will be able to master the other things much more easily. If you're new to drawing yourself, it might be worth starting on something a little simpler, such as a jug or cup.

Try this: In your mind, picture a simple mug, plain white, with a large handle. Got that? Now see if you can rotate that object around in your mind. I have always been able to do that and I understand a lot of people struggle. I don't know if it's down to observation, memory or curiosity. Probably all three. The idea that you can picture something from any angle and then reproduce it on paper is quite a high level goal, but it is something that can be learned.

I think it's down to knowing your subject really well. Try picturing a dice. You know the sides add up to seven, so picture a big white spot on a bright red dice. You know the six is on the other side, so can you slowly rotate that dice, past the three and around to the six?

Cubes aren't that difficult to draw, and they can really help with perspective and shading. If you can't do the exercise, then find a dice and physically do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment